I am a long time User of Amazon and have never gotten used to the
foibles of trying to sign in, especially considering that the site
itself prominently uses the term "sign-in" when you are *not*
signed in, therefore creating the expectation that there will be a
"sign in" link or button *somewhere.* I think Walmart is a faulty
analogy: Amazon is more like Costco or any other "shopping club" as
there are quite a few functional perks only available to members (wish
list, shopping list, amazon prime, recs. etc.)  I think that anyone
that uses Amazon more than a few times or does more than casual
browsing will register and have at least a list or two. It's hard
for me to imagine that Amazon would invest so heavily in all that
"membercentric" functionality if many of their customers weren't
using it, or if they were 1 time buyers who never come back or insist
on remaining anonymous. Let's also not forget that some people
regularly clear their cookie cash as part of system maintenance, so
they may need to sign in fairly frequently rather than having it be a
very rare occurrence.