I've had the same problem with Amazon, and had to actually train myself to
look for that other link when I have to sign in (which has been sometimes
necessary, if, for example, i want to see a wish list, but am on an
unfamiliar computer).

I don't buy the idea that users don't look for sign-in.  I'd be more
inclined to believe that sign-in has become a convention in itself that
anyone who has used the web for any length of time is familiar with.
Whether or not it conceptually makes sense to sign in first, I think users
become trained to do things a certain way without thinking about it, and
removing that functionality seems off-base.  I am not arguing that sign-in
shouldn't be seamlessly integrated into checkout as well, I just think that
it doesn't make sense to remove it as a separate function.

-eva