"A %u2018good%u2019 game design would reward its players for taking
breaks, how you incorporate that into game play would prove to be an
interesting challenge."

Civilization would display a message saying "You've been playing
for 3 hours, take a break."  Naturally, I dismissed the dialog and
kept playing ;)  but it was a shocking reminder of how long I had
been playing because it was so easy to lose track of time.  It
didn't "reward" you in the game, but it did help sometimes to keep
me from going all night until my eyes were burning.

Another game I can think of....Mafia Wars on facebook.  You earn
money every hour if you buy land and properties, and it keeps track
even after you signed off.  So it allows you to basically "play
without playing" so to speak.

Brian