"I think people are influenced as much as they allow."

The assumptions here are that people are rational and have an unlimited
length of time to analyze their decisions. Trouble is that both assumptions
are incorrect. We, people, are mostly unaware of our goals, attitudes,
drives and the subtle ways those goals, attitudes and desires can be
affected. It is physically impossible to be constantly aware of all
motivations, which shape our decisions.

For instance, I will not be swayed to buy Rolex, when I see ads for the
watch. However the real goal of those commercials in mass distribution media
is not to make people to buy them en mass (masses cannot afford Rolexes),
but rather to inform the common folks that the owners of those goods are
displaying higher fitness indicators; to affect our attitude towards the
owners (and to let the owners know that the folks are informed what Rolex
is)*. Can I resist this influence? Somewhat; but hardly, unless I understand
the purpose of these ads.

Is it ethical to influence uninformed people? We don't have a choice really
-- people, including us, interaction designers, will always remain somewhat
uninformed (it is physically impossible etc. - see above). Is it possible to
avoid influencing? Not unless you relocate into a black hole -- that would
make for a very lonely, if brief, life though.

--
Oleh Kovalchuke
Interaction Design is design of time

* More information on various fitness indicators and the ways they influence
us in "Spent" by Geoffrey Miller: http://tinyurl.com/luadnc