st2000;395598 Wrote:

> Not to start a discussion of the virtues of spending big $$$s on
> digital
> cables...  (please, it's been done already - (an interesting discussion
>
> on digital technology and jitter - if you care to search for it))
>
> However, it sounds like you are going out to buy another digital cable
>
> just to see if it works.  If you are going to connect the
> electrical/digital output then any RCA audio cable will work.  You
> could
> even unplug the analog cable (Both ends! Do not do something silly like
>
> feed your digital output into your analog amp!) you are using now and
> try it.

Sorry but this is wrong. Setting aside jitter and other esoterica, *a
75 ohm RF cable is required in order to make a reliable connection.*.
If you just use one side of a stereo analog RCA cable and you happen to
get a signal across, lucky you, but I assure you it is only just barely
working. That is why I recommend that people try a different cable when
S/PDIF doesn't work, and my experience is that this does in fact fix the
problem quite often.

Now as it happens all RCA video cables are 75 ohm, so you probably
already have something that will work. With these, consumers are much
more sensitive to actual performance, so video cables are forced to
meet high functional standards which far exceed what s/pdif needs to
ensure data integrity. On the other hand, a hand made exotic "digital"
cable that you might get from a boutique brand may only have met the
"is it as thick as a garden hose" criterion.

--
seanadams