results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=96660
Question: Would you buy a new Squeezebox player if it became available?

- Yes , if less than $100
- Yes, if less than $200
- Yes, if less than $500
- Yes, if less than $1000
- Yes - price is no object; I just want the best sound
- No - I would NOT buy another Squeezebox player

Mnyb wrote:

> POINT 1:
> But the cheap generic radios does not sync with my squeezeboxes or use
> the versatile plugin architecture of the squeeze system . ...
> To be fair Eu radio still have the app system so some advantage over the
> compettition .
>
> POINT 2:
> The point is that there must be cheaper parts in squeezebox *system*
> it's the integration that is the main thing .
> And my personal pow, there is no need for a super expensive product with
> analog out's anymoore .
> The DAC market has exploded and many users hifi ,high end. Or home
> theater system is best interfaced with a digital interface be it spdiff
> ,ToS ,USB or hdmi .
>
> POINT 3:
> However it can be necessary to "package " the thing in audiophile guise
> to reach audiophiles some of them would not accept it otherwise ;)...

Thank you for the thoughtful response. You make some good points. I've
broken out what I find to be the three most salient points you've
raised, so as to ensure the conversation keeps moving forward.

Point 0 on here is that in the absence of Logitech continuing to
manufacture products like Touch or Transporter, somebody, somewhere will
need to pickup the hardware manufacturing mantel, given the absence of
equivalent products in the market. Home brew kits are not tenable for
everyone, and the degree of hardware optimization required for high
quality audio playback suggests (though doe not necessarily require)
that specially designed hardware would be best.

Re: Point 1:
Implicit in your statement is that the end user cares where the app is
running. I do not think this is the case. Most users do not care if the
app connecting them to a cloud service or their locally stored music
collection is running on their i-Device or somehow integrated into the
speaker. Thus, all the apps that an i-Device can run pit all the
i-Devices and Airplay/Bluetooth/3.5mm speaker systems against the UE
radio, despite all the apps the UE radio can run locally. Accordingly, I
do not think the UE radios ability to run apps is a advantage over the
competition in the view of the average small-speaker-system /
AirPlay-radio-like-device-consumer. If anything, the ability to run apps
within the small-speaker-system itself (e.g. like the UE radio) adds
additional cost to each setup that will discourage consumers who want
speakers sprinkled throughout their environment - why pay for the
hardware to run an app in each instance of a speaker when you can pay
for the hardware only once by levering an i-Device and AirPlay (wherein
AirPlay hardware is substantially cheaper than the hardware to run an
App or music server software)?

Re: Point 2:
A: Hell yes HDMI out of a "#2 Device" (i.e. all digital SB, maybe also
with IR blaster output) would be f-ing brilliant. That would be a huge
step forward over the competition. I suppose it would take a
Meridian-Man such as yourself to see it so obviously, sorry I didn't
think of it myself. I for one would love to play back ripped 5.1 DVD-A
and SCAD via an SB device using only the DACs in a receiver.

However, in so far as a #3 Device" (i.e. price is no object super SB) is
concerned relative to those of us who don't live in a Meridian world (I
am B&W 800 series to your Meridian), the explosion of the DAC market,
though generally welcome, has resulted in horrific redundancies within
individual home stereo setups, unnecessarily inflating costs. Justifying
the expense of a super fancy DAC means it ought to provide every sort of
input and output - so that its awesome performance can be leveraged in
every conceivable way. Accordingly, a $3000 SB product a compliment of
high end DAC(s) ought to allow its DAC(s) to be used alone, completely
decoupled from the SB streaming functions, for decoding playback from CD
players, BluRay players, USB connected media, etc. and thereafter
sending signal into a power amp (a configuration that is somewhat
foreign in the world of Meridian).

The point is that home stereos are increasingly a-la-cart, such that in
an expense-is-no-object SB product the interested market can be
substantially increased by adding functionality which negligibly
increases the cost of the expense-is-no-object SB product (i.e. adding
analog outs). When dealing with an expense-is-no-object product, a minor
increase in cost is always favorable when it will significantly increase
the potential market size. To this end, where DACs in price-is-no-object
products are concerned, there should always be 5.1 analog outs, and
maybe balanced XLR too.

Re: Point 3:
I would prefer not get side tracked with what is and is not "audiophile"
-  instead let's focus on raw technical merits. I don't think packaging
matters at all - as long as the price can be justified by the hardware
that is inside and the software that integrates it all.