results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=96660
Question: Would you buy a new Squeezebox player if it became available?

- Yes , if less than $100
- Yes, if less than $200
- Yes, if less than $500
- Yes, if less than $1000
- Yes - price is no object; I just want the best sound
- No - I would NOT buy another Squeezebox player

ninthsrw wrote:
> I agree the diversity of the ecosystem is a huge asset, overall.
>
> However, Logitech has kept the radio idea for itself, as evidenced by
> their intent to sell it as part of the UE ecosystem. Additionally, the
> radios compete more directly with the exploding field of mini-speaker
> systems and apple airplay systems with built in speakers. This is to say
> it is a crowded market in which it is both difficult and expensive to
> distinguish any given product. Though I would immediately acquiesce that
> margins for these types of products are likely the highest and the
> market is arguably the largest relative to #2 and #3 type products.
>
> In so far as #2 and #3 are concerned - they are aimed directly at
> satisfying the existing SB enthusiast market by accommodating future
> expansion of existing SB systems (as evidenced by your own example), and
> providing a point of entry into the SB ecosystem for which there are few
> direct competitors, if any: Naim and Linn have laughably high margins
> that kept them from competing with the SB price point; Sonos is both
> slightly more expensive and doesn't support high quality play back;
> Cambridge's software is painful and their app doesn't run on some recent
> android phones; Olive has promise, but is also relatively expensive, and
> necessarily ties in a hard-drive containing device if 24/192 playback is
> desired; UPnP based systems are painful to use, and make library
> curation a Sisyphusian task, and so on...
>
> The point is #2 and #3 are products in markets where SB can handedly
> stand out and continue to thrive - as it has before - in terms of
> price-to-quality ratio. #2 and #3 are appear to be the segment of the
> market which Logitech has abandoned by moving onto UE. SB has been the
> price-to-quality leader from the beginning, and it can continue as such,
> by continuing to stand out where the
> not-perfect-but-usually-awsome-super-feature-rich software is a huge
> asset when coupled with quality hardware (syncing, gappless FLAC
> playback, plug-ins, etc..). Taking on competitors based on the
> iTunes/AirPlay-crowded-market-of-mini-portable systems is not the answer
> in the near term (this is not to say that iTunes integration isn't
> important to use cases #2 and #3).

But the cheap generic radios does not sync with my squeezeboxes or use
the versatile plugin architecture of the squeeze system .
And radio is 2-3 times more expensive than the competition .

Now that logitech have dumbed it down to UE radio lets see how that
fares when it's twice as expensive ;)

To be fair Eu radio still have the app system so some advantage over the
compettition ( even if many apps are gimmicks ,why just not offer the
functionality pre installed )