results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=96660
Question: Would you buy a new Squeezebox player if it became available?

- Yes , if less than $100
- Yes, if less than $200
- Yes, if less than $500
- Yes, if less than $1000
- Yes - price is no object; I just want the best sound
- No - I would NOT buy another Squeezebox player

cliveb wrote:
> I agree with your sentiments, so let us focus on technical merits.
> Digital out via HDMI may well be convenient, but I am worried about its
> merits. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that
> the jitter levels of typical HDMI implementations are catastrophically
> high. Regular readers here will know that I am sceptical about the
> significance of jitter, but even I would baulk at the thought of using
> an interface which typically exhibits jitter at the thousands of pS
> level. Properly implemented asynchronous USB seems to be the future
> interface of choice (although I personally am happy with SPDIF).

I may be spoilt by the meridian HD621 hdmi audio processor! That deals
with most of this .

And it is a fixable problem , a good hdmi implementation would deal with
it .

Compare the situation with USB interface a surprisingly large amount of
them or not very good,but there is a large portion of well implemented
solutions ,this was not the case a couple of years ago .
The fact that audiophiles seems to praise *every* USB input is another
issue ?
I suppose well implement hdmi will be more common in the future .

Beside if you heard a good discrete multichannel recording the jitter
discussion would fade :) that is a big difference in my world.
And due to varius paranoia at the content providers hdmi is the only
standard consumer interface that offers discrete multichannel , so that
is what we have like it or not .

I could use one of my leftover MHR inputs for 3*spdiff in my processor
but that is hardly standard ? Not many processor or ht reciever has such
inputs .

OT if I want to listen to my DVDA discs on my system I use a MHR
interface ( 3*spdiff with proprietary  meridian protocol )
And not hdmi from my DVDA player to my processor, this interface was
invented before the hdmi standard offered this.