cliveb wrote:
> It's still running piCorePlayer version 4.something, because it does
> what's required, isn't broken and therefore doesn't need fixing. I've
> never understood why people feel the need to constantly update perfectly
> working systems.

This is OK if you are running a system which makes no use of internet
services or external connections.

However if you do use internet services then the need to update
(regularly not necessarily "constantly")  can vary from system required
changes to SSL/TLS (e.g. Heartbleed, TLS 1.1,1.2 downgrades ), to better
support of podcasts or to support changes in internet service such as
Tidal, Deezer, Accuradio etc.  If you do not update often services break
or at worst leave your home network system open to a cyber attack or
theft of personal details.

For the last 2 years, many users have posted "my favorite station just
stopped playing" and very often it is because their system (OS and/or
LMS) is not up to date. If the LMS is there for a dependent, often the
dependent will not complain and not say anything and suffer the lack of
service.