OK, I haven't ignored advice and I really want this to work but let's
take these one at a time..

Converting everything from AAC is going to be a hell of a job. I
haven't found a program yet that will preserve the folder structure -
any ideas?

Random mix won't work for me, I'm afraid. The library contains my kids
music as well as my own and I don't even want to hear some of my OWN
music on a regular basis. Let alone hip-hop and death metal.

A lot of my time problems have stemmed from the fact that I work abroad
during the week and have always had the foolish notion that I might be
able to walk into the house on a Friday evening and switch on the music
I want to hear over the weekend. In practice, I have spent most weekends
over the past year trying the tips and tricks (with some success but
mostly frustration). What I haven't had time to do is to set up another
PC for this.

I would say that the AAC thing doesn't seem to be an issue once the
playlist is running. The quality is good and it doesn't demonstrate a
problem at that time at all. The main problem is the amount of time it
takes to BUILD the playlists and I still don't understand why this is.
As I said before, a playlist is (as far as I can see) simply a text
file with a list of file addresses in it. These have, presumably, been
verified during the scan process and should, therefore, be almost
instantly available to the program. What else does it do when I add a
song or album to the list that takes so long?

--
larrettp