On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 04:25:08PM -0500, Stephen Michel wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Bryan Richter
> >On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 03:15:38PM -0800, Stephen Yeung wrote:
> >> Regarding Milestones they're generally meant for big events (i.e.
> >> launches or when you complete a suite of inter-related features)
> >> wherein you take stock and review work and see if changes are
> >> needed.
> >
> >Right now our two "milestones" are:
> >
> >Alpha: complete website with funding mechanism (but no real money)
> >
> >Beta: Real money!!
> >

> I'm not sure if we should call these milestones, but I think there
> are several important big events:
>
> Pre-Alpha (name?): complete site except funding mechanism, where
> hitting the 'pledge' button signs you up for the 'announce' email
> list.
>  - Primary required work: UX & implementation

There's so much website that we already have — this step feels like it
could be elided. Can you provide justification for it?

> Alpha: Self funding:  Real Money, only one project --
> snowdrift.coop, mostly-complete mechanism (doesn't need to account
> for multiple projects),
>  - Primary required work: mechanism, legal, ongoing UX

I love this idea! I think it accurately reflects the priority of
figuring out real money asap.

> Closed Beta: all of the above plus complete funding mechanism,
> invite exclusively popular FLOSS
>  - Primary work required: mechanism, legal, outreach, ongoing UX

Indeed, this would be the next logical step.

I still feel that "milestone" is the right word for these thresholds.

There's one thing not addressed by any of the above: co-op and legal
structure!

I think that the co-op project is somewhat independent of the website
project, but I do not know to what degree that is true.