On 05/19/2016 06:32 AM, Stephen Michel wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 12:59 AM, Bryan Richter <br...@snowdrift.coop>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 09:22:46PM -0600, Michael Siepmann wrote:
>>
>>     On 05/18/2016 05:51 PM, Bryan Richter wrote: > On Tue, May 17,
>>     2016 at 12:13:34PM -0600, Peter Harpending wrote: >> On Tue, May
>>     17, 2016 at 10:21:23AM -0700, Bryan Richter wrote: >>> Website
>>     work is blocked on taking care of the blog, so let's do >>> that.
>>     We have to make some decisions, but first we need to agree >>> on
>>     what purpose we are trying to achieve. >>> >>> To frame the
>>     "purpose" discussion, I'll pose the first question: >>> Where does
>>     the blog live? The decision flowchart starts with: >>> >>> 1. Blog
>>     lives on the main site >>> 2. Blog lives somewhere else >>> >>>
>>     Which shall it be? >>> >>> But let's not simply answer that
>>     question. Let's start by >>> understanding why we have a blog, and
>>     figure out what we need to >>> make it a success. From there, it
>>     should be easier to agree on >>> this decision, and the ones that
>>     follow. >>> >>> Here's my brainstorm for the blog's purpose: >>>
>>     >>> 1. Show signs of life >>> 2. Keep people engaged >>> 3. Talk
>>     about problems we're facing >>> 4. Talk about progress we've made
>>     >>> 5. Add more content to the Internets, making it easier for >>>
>>     people to find us in searches Would https://withknown.com/ be
>>     worth considering? I'm considering using it myself since I like
>>     the idea of the IndieWeb (http://indiewebcamp.com/) which I
>>     learned about from Aaron - and it seems to be by far the easiest
>>     way to do that. There's some info about it at
>>     http://indiewebcamp.com/Projects too.
>>
>> It looks pretty slick. I added it to a list on the User Story:
>> https://tree.taiga.io/project/snowdrift/us/61 Once we collect a few
>> more possibilities, I think it will be time to try to compare the pros
>> and cons.
>
> Another possibility is Medium.com.

No, Medium is *not* a possibility, period. They are NOT FLO. It is not
okay for us to disrespect the FLO status of projects like Ghost and go
with a proprietary blog service. We could not fork or self-host or
otherwise do whatever we need if Medium does things we don't want.

Medium encourages everyone to log in with Twitter, Facebook, or Google.
They are very much NOT a site that shares our values already.