On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:46, Lars D. Noodén wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Jonathon Blake wrote:
> > Just what functionality does MSO + Outlook offer, that can not be
> > replicated by using OOo + FireFox + ThunderBird + SunBird + the
> > appropriate templates?

Having downloaded the 260+ MB source code OO.org 2.0 package at a cost to self
in time, and having come across Tom Adelstein's email client,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tradeclient/
I'm going to try to find the time to put the two together, somehow.

"Microsoft embedded itself in the enterprise with something other than
Internet Explorer and Office. The loss leader in their product line comes
with Microsoft Office and requires a back office component to work. Until
someone replaces Outlook, the opportunity to expunge Microsoft from the
enterprise will remain illusive."
'Once you have control of the lines of communication in an organization, you
own it. If you empower an executive vice president to come between the CEO
and the rank and file worker and mid-management, the CEO becomes ineffective.
The same with Information Technology. Whoever owns the communication lines
controls the organization."
"So, with all the projections in the media, I wanted to know which strategy
Microsoft would use to beat UNIX and Novell. I decided to take DEC's offer to
put me in direct contact with some of their marketing executives. I met with
two key members of sales management who convinced me that Exchange Server
would make the difference in the NOS war. They asserted that by capturing the
lines of communication in the enterprise, they could control the enterprise."

> [...]
>
> +1
>
> Lars Nooden ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>       Software patents kill innovation and harm all Net-based business.
>       Keep them out of the EU by writing your MEP, keep the market open.

-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?