On 05/10/2016 08:41 AM, Alex Grönholm wrote:
10.05.2016, 18:26, Ethan Furman kirjoitti:

Please no.  I'd rather do xml than yaml.

Why do you hate it so much? I strongly prefer YAML to anything else I've
seen here.

It's too complicated and error-prone. If we want buy-in from casual packagers then our configuration language needs to be simple to understand and simple to get right. (The amount of leading whitespace on a single line changes your data type? Really?? 0644 and 0x644 both map to 420? and 644 maps to 644?)

https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/troubleshooting/yaml_idiosyncrasies.html

https://ciaranm.wordpress.com/2009/03/01/yaml-sucks-gems-sucks-syck-sucks/

While YAML is more easily readable than XML, with XML you already know you're in hell so you tread more carefully. ;)

If we want to take the good ideas of YAML and make our own thing I'm okay with that -- but not YAML itself.

--
~Ethan~