Thanks Paul - I hadn't even looked in the Extensions section before!

I think I did it correctly, but I still have the same problem.  But
maybe I didn't do it properly.

Noob alert! How do I remove the old version?  I removed sbpd from
/usr/local/sbin, and I removed sbpd.tcz.md5.txt and sbpd.tcz from
/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/optional for good measure.  I also edited
/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/onboot.lst to remove the sbpd line.

Then I installed pcp_sbpd from the piCorePlayer sourceforge repository.
Was there anything else I needed to do to clear out the old version?  Is
there a way to check which version I'm now running?

Anyway, with the command '/usr/local/sbin/sbpd -d -s e,23,24,VOLM,2
b,17,PLAY,2 b,4,POWR,2', the result is that both buttons still power
down the player, and neither powers it back up.  With just
'e,23,24,VOLM,2 b,4,POWR,2' the power button powers down and back up as
expected.