I have been considering Django + SQLAlchemy as a potential summer of
code project. I understand there is a branch which has gone nowhere
and this project: http://code.google.com/p/django-sqlalchemy/

I have read numerous comments on here about either entirely replacing
the current database code with SQLAlchemy or at least providing it as
an official alternative. What is the current consensus on this? Would
proposing a complete replacement be a tad too controversial for a GSoC
project? I'd be interested to hear your views.

Thanks,

Ben