On 28 March 2011 17:28, Russell Keith-Magee <russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:

> > * Uncategorized (default)
> > * Feature request: for adding something new.
> > * Bug report: for when an existing thing is broken or not behaving as
> > expected.
> > * Optimisation: for when an existing thing is not broken but could be
> > made better, faster, stronger.
> > * Other: none of the above.
>
> I would suggest two modifications to this:
>
> First, I would call "Feature Request" -> "New Feature" to remove any
> suggestion that just by opening a ticket, it will magically be
> implemented by the feature ponies.

+1, that's even clearer.

> Second, this ontology doesn't do the one type of filtering that we
> need for release management -- identifying bugs that are release
> blocking. This means that either the 'bug report' category needs to be
> expanded into:
>  * Bug
>  * Bug causing data loss
>  * Regression
>  * Bug with new feature
>
> Or we need to add a separate boolean flag for "release blocker".
>
> We used keywords for the 1.3 release, and I think that proved a
> helpful resource; I think it's worth promoting these to full UI
> elements.

I think there will rarely be many blockers at any given time, so I'd rather
keep all bugs under "Bug" to keep the dropdown box succinct, and introduce a
new "Release blocker" flag which will be enough to get people's attention.
Whether it's a regression, bug in new feature, etc. can then easily be
guessed by reading the ticket comment thread.

Julien