Hi Josh,

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 11:38:52 AM UTC+1, Josh Smeaton wrote:

> I guess I don't really see how we'd be helping users in any meaningful way
> by supporting python 3.4 with Django 2.0. Django 2.0's defining change is
> dropping Python 2. We have no idea what else will land in 2.0.

Django evolves, there are new things in every release and if possible I'd
rather have more people testing new short-term-support releases.

> If we're wanting users to upgrade their code bases to run on Python 3,
> then they certainly won't be doing it on Django 2.0.

Maybe, maybe not, I just don't want to have the one release that drops
Python 2.0 also be the one release that moves the Python version support to
an "island"-solution which just supports py3.6 (or maybe 3.7 by that time).
Even if we leave RHEL out of it, I'd very much like people on their dev
machines with a still supported ubuntu LTS (ie 16.04) to be able to try
Django 2.0, which is certainly an argument against dropping 3.5 at least.
You are right that 3.4 might be far stretching, but again, if it doesn't
cost us much, but gives us a wide range of supported systems, why not?
Given that 1.11 supports 3.4 anyways, there is also no extra burden on the
CI machines (maintenance wise) aside from a bigger build matrix.

I admit to a lack of knowledge on how to install new versions of Python on
> Ubuntu-likes. But https://ius.io/ is a great Redhat/Centos repo for
> installing newer Python versions.

Yes ius/scl are relatively great, but the miss glue code -- ie you get a
new Python, but you still need to recompile mod_wsgi for instance… That
said, with the deadsnakes repo dead, I think new CI server for django would
probably be using CentOS since that is an easy way to get access to py 2.7
& 3.4-3.6.

Cheers,
Florian

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/bed85695-2985-4b7b-9799-852aeacb29af%40googlegroups.com.