On 12/8/2020 10:50 AM, Dotzero wrote:
And here we get to some of the crucial unresolved questions involving email: "Does the wishes of a user of an account at a domain supercede the policies of the domain owner/administrator of a domain?"

It's not only not crucial, it's entirely resolved, and always had been, in terms of real-world practice. The view that it hasn't been is frankly an arrogance of author domain owners.

Author domain owners do not have a relationship with receivers or recipients, so their policies have no enforcement potential. Receivers and recipients are completely independent.  They do not 'override' the domain owner policies.  Rather, they apply their own policies.  Always have.

This is why the language in DMARC would be far more constructive to remove any hint of attempting to direct receiver or recipient behavior, and instead merely reflect the domain owner's assessment of message validity, along the lines of the language I offered.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
dcroc...@gmail.com