On Wed, Apr 5, 2023 at 5:41 PM Jim Fenton <fen...@bluepopcorn.net> wrote:

> On 1 Apr 2023, at 8:25, Dotzero wrote:
>
> >  Hmm, let's apply this to DMARC.
> >
> > " But it interoperates just fine once you make the effort."
> >
> > Nobody forces a Sender to publish a DMARC record. Nobody forces a
> receiver
> > to validate DMARC. Nobody forces mailing lists to accept mail from
> domains
> > which publish a DMARC record let alone one which publishes  p=reject
> > policy. But it interoperates just fine once you make the effort.
>
> Doesn’t this again assume that all DMARC breakage is due to mailing lists?

Not at all. The discussion (and specific post I was responding to) was
about mailing lists but it also applies more generally. A number of years
ago I saw bounces from a Polish domain. Their policy was that if the From
and the Mail From didn't match they would reject the inbound email. I find
that absurdly limiting but they can implement whatever policy they want.
Maybe there are sending domains that do that for all their mail. My point
is that domain owners/admins, at least on certain levels, get to choose how
they interact with other networks/servers.

> This got me to musing: What if IETF decided to remove its From address
> rewriting and started bouncing all incoming mail to its mailing lists from
> domains that have a p=reject (and maybe p=quarantine) policy? I don’t think
> it would be pretty.

I also don't think it would  be pretty but it's within the realm of options
they can choose from.

Michael Hammer