On 14/08/2022 23:37, David Conrad wrote:
It seems to me that “the correct handling” of how an operating system
or an application distinguishes what protocol to use for domain name
lookup (other than DNS) is outside of the bailiwick of DNSOP or the
IETF.

Disagree in part. I think it is entirely within the balliwick
of the IETF to document that e.g. gnu.alt. or gnu. is a SUDN.
And also to specify how such names are used in GNU protocols
so that someone who cares could also implement and achieve
interop, be they an OS vendor or not.

And given how niche the protocols we're discussing are - I
don't think DNS ops folk would notice.

Or are you suggesting the DNS protocol be modified to deal with such
"a niche thing” to facilitate transition?

No.

(Honest question: e.g., one
could imagine the root servers “knowing” about SUDN and doing special
things when they see queries for (mostly, except for the root query
obviously) non-DNS resolution protocols and DNSOP may be a good place
for that discussion).
I think at this stage dnsop is the wrong place for these
discussions. So Warren's idea of another venue seems worth
a shot.

Cheers,
S.