> On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 10:58:56 GMT Tim Waugh wrote:
> > Do you have the boinc-manager installed? There is a graphical interface,

Alas, I don't think my Dell Optiplex 790 is ideal for this work.  When I first
fired off the Rosetta@Home Biological Project in BOINC the CPU usage rose to
100% immediately, as reported earlier.  At the same time, the fans wound up to
full speed which is pretty noisy.

Using lm-sensors and a suitable Module in KSysGuard I monitored the CPU
temperatures and was extremely perturbed to find them just under 90 Deg C!
According to Overclockers, this CPU (Intel i7-2600) shouldn't be allowed to go
above 70 Degs, so I turned the max CPU % and Time down until I could get below
70 Degs) I found that I had to reduce CPU % to 20% and Time to 50% to get
anywhere near that!  The fans are much quieter though.

Needless to say, the estimated compute time for each task has increased quite
a bit.

BTW.  This exercise would have been much easier had I realised that the engine
part of Folding@Home *had* in fact installed correctly and was running in the
background.  I had no control over it's CPU usage, because the control module
hadn't installed.  However, every time the BOINC software reduced it's usage,
the FAH software grabbed it.....  In the end I found it by looking at max CPU
when BOINC was supposedly suspended.

--

                Terry Coles

--
  Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, post-lurgi 20:00
  Check to whom you are replying