Thanks to all who responded. I thought my choice would be an easy one but it
seems that the B and C lines both have their strengths (and strong
proponents).  I'm a big fan of smooth receive audio which seems to indicate
a B, but I also like some of the options on the C, a spinner knob being only
one. ;) Relay chatter is something I do not care for, however, and I guess
I've gotten spoiled by Ten-Tec QSK.

Re the Sherwood mods, I just read thru Sherwood Engineering's web site, and
with all they offer for the R4C (and not the B) it's tempting to go with a C
line, if nothing else to have enhancements and replacement modules readily
available.

FWIW CW ops, I recently bought and built the new Idiom Press SCAF-1 audio
filter and can report that it's a great addition for the CW enthusiast,
producing the equivalent of a narrow crystal filter without the ring or
harshness.  In fact, the SCAF-1 is downright smooth.. it even smoothes out a
rig's sidetone if it wasn't smooth to begin with.  I plan on using that (not
DSP, I've been there) with the Drake RX, so I'm less worried about narrow
filtering than I might otherwise be, though a good xtal filter certainly has
its place.  The bands are usually uncluttered when I operate so a broad
receive is sometimes welcome, both for finding signals and smoother audio.

My primary rig is a Ten-Tec Corsair II with both 500Hz and 250Hz CW filters
installed.  Since getting the SCAF-1 I find myself using the SCAF-1 more and
the crystal filters less.  A neat trick for QRN is to use both a crystal
filter and the SCAF-1, and then dial down the Corsair II's passband tuning
to drop the signal into the SCAF-1's sweet spot, about 550Hz.  Sounds like
FM at times!

As for outboard keyers, my Vibroplex (et al) has that covered. ;)

Thanks again drakelist, I'll continue to read the mail here and hopefully
I'll be an owner soon.


73,

Adam Nathanson
N4EKV
Oakland, CA
www.n4ekv.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Submissions:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe:          [EMAIL PROTECTED] - subscribe drakelist in body
Unsubscribe:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] - unsubscribe drakelist in body
Hopelessly Lost:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] - help in body of message
Brought to you courtesy of TLCHost.net  http://www.tlchost.net/
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply via email to