CORRECTION: The B line does not have 4 pole crystal filters built-in. It
has as single 8kHz (more or less)crystal filter in the front end. The
bandwidths in the R-4/A/B is provided by a single L/C filter arrangement
through switching of coupling and padding capacitors to increase or
increase selectivity as needed. The same arrangement appears in the 2-B/C
receivers as well as the SPR-4. While not as selective as selective as the
R-4C, selectivity is nevertheless adequate for most casual CW operation.

The R-4C front end filter is not too broad as it is designed to provide
sufficient bandwidths for proper operation of the noise blanker and
passband tuner. If you narrow front end selectivity then the noise blanker
becomes less effective and passband tuning becomes restricted. Yes you can
narrow front end selectivity but there is no free lunch.

C line has the potential to outperform the B line.

There are other things to consider when choosing. If possible, get a copy
of the C line reviews in QST which gives a good overall, if not
technically thorough overview of features. Stay away from the so-called
"Drake Mods" widely available on the web as it is not technically
accurate. Sections of it are riddled with technically inaccurate
conclusions and inaccuracies. Unfortunately they were included in the
"Drake a Family Affair" book. The author of the book wanted to correct
some of the errors but the author of the mods would only allow publication
of his work without editing. Thus myths prevail. Makes great rading
though.

> Well, the C line is superior in selectivity, but mostly if it has been
> modified, the first IF is too broad...

..there are mods to