"Jim F." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I found one of these tools on eBay to use on the
relays in my Swan boatanchor.  I used one at Western
Electric
many years ago and it was designed to burnish relay
contacts.  WECO used to use millions of relays.

Western Electric 265C Burnisher Pocket Tool
 ( eBay #270184548836)

73

Jim



--- Mark Pilant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 
> Mark Pilant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an
> utterance to the drakelist gang
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Greetings all.
> 
> I have managed to find some time to work on my TR-3
> and have
> made a fair amount of progress.
> 
> The first step was to clean off most of the grime,
> dust, etc.
> with Q-tips and (isopropyl) alcohol.  Followed by
> DeoxIT on the
> various switch contacts, tube socket contacts, and
> T/R relay.
> 
> BTW, I discovered the blue coloring on the blue
> filter can be
> removed with the alcohol.  Fortunately, the bluing
> was on the
> white backing no the actual blue filter.  Be
> careful.
> 
> After that came doing all resistance checks. 
> Anything more
> than 10% off the table in the manual I investigated.
>  I found
> two very curious things.  First, pin 7 (6AU6A - VFO
> cathode) is
> shown as 7 ohms in the table, but my meter (Fluke
> 875 with needle
> probes) showed it as open.  The original manual I
> have (from a
> different owner) also shows this.  I'm not sure if
> this is OK.
> I'm not sure I really want to pull the PTO to trace
> the circuit.
> 
> Second, the first time through, the cathode and grid
> resistance
> measurements of several tubes were vastly different
> (in both
> directions: high and low).  Looking into this
> further, the tubes
> all appeared to be in the receive chain.  On a
> hunch, I played
> around a but with the T/R relay contacts while
> measuring the
> cathode resistance of V12 (IF amp).  It would go
> from 105 ohms
> to 29.7K.  What was curious was it wasn't up and
> down motion of
> the relay contact but side to side.
> 
> 
> So it looks like my T/R relay needs some serious
> attention. I
> can think of a several of things to try:
> 
>     1)   Clean it again with DeoxIT (by pulling
> soaked heavy
>          paper through the contacts).
>     2)   Use a burnisher or very fine grit (1000+)
> wet/dry
>          sandpaper.  (Like Mark Gilger's "Relay
> Care" Tech Tip
>          on WB4FHN's site.)
>     3)   Find a replacement relay.  I'm not sure if
> this is
>          possible.
> 
> Since my TR-3 has an open frame T/R relay, it isn't
> too surprising
> it is dirty.  I'm just not sure if I will be able to
> adequately
> clean the contacts.  I'm preparing myself to have to
> remove the
> relay to really clean it.  I'll also check the
> armature string
> tension as well.
> 
> All comments and suggestions welcome.
> 
> 73
> 
> - Mark  N1VQW
> 
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Submissions:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Unsubscribe:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
> unsubscribe drakelist in body
> Hopelessly Lost:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] - help in
> body of message
> Zerobeat Web Page:  www.zerobeat.net - sponsored by
> www.tlchost.net
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Submissions:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] - unsubscribe drakelist in body
Hopelessly Lost:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] - help in body of message
Zerobeat Web Page:  www.zerobeat.net - sponsored by www.tlchost.net
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply via email to