Thanks, Bob. I'm going to experiment a little with this R-4B that I'll be selling. It will be getting disassembled this evening prior to its bath. Before I dunk it (actually I don't dunk them - but they DO get wet!) I'm going to trace all the mods that the PO did and mark up a copy of the R-4B schematic. Then I'll attack the scabs on the chassis (there are a bunch that the PO shellacked, it appears) with jelly and flitz and see what they look like.

I just got done taking readings on all bands (and found that 10m is set up for the bottom instead of 28.5!) prior to disassembly so that I can compare performance after the cleaning and alignment.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Steve Wedge, W1ES/4

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Plato
Do be do be do. - Sinatra

All my computers have my signature with various pearls of wisdom appended thereto.


--------------------------------------------------
From: "Robert Fish" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 1:49 PM
To: "Steve Wedge" <[email protected]>
Cc: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] Copper chassis restoration

Hi Steve,

I have had some limited success with Naval jelly. It seems to stop and remove the rust pretty well. Like you said, it isn't going to look like new. Whatever damage the rust did will still be there (pitting, bare steel etc.). But, it is much cleaner looking after it is cleaned up. When I'm done, I just hit it with a coat of lacquer to keep air from getting to it again and starting the process all over. It does leave shiny copper where you use it, so it won't match
the rest of the old copper. The only thing that will fix that is time.

It isn't a perfect solution, but it is much better than rust and corrosion left unchecked.

Bob  K6GGO

I am usually amazed at how well the copper chassis clean up with simple aids like 409 and Charlie's Soap (wonderful stuff only available in my area of NC). I've seen the Flitz-and-Dremel (or should that be "Flitz-und-Dremel" ;-) ) technique on WB4HFN's website and am still a little disappointed in how a larger area of corrosion will look after this process.

I've seen some hobbyist paints, as well as Krylon, offered in a copper color. Has anyone tried any of these? I'm just looking for something that will mask the ugliness somewhat and realize it will never perfectly match. There's an area about 1 x 2 near the PTO of my "new" R-4B that has all the hallmarks of "Pepsi Syndrome" and I'd like to both protect and dress-up the area a little.

Again, not going to make it a museum piece - just looking for ways of doing the equivalent of "bondo" to take the ugly away...

73,

Steve

_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist



_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

Reply via email to