----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Berg" <wa9...@tbc.net>
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] Copper chassis restoration

I have not tried it on a Drake chassis, but have had good performance with a product called Nevrdull. It comes in a can and is cotton wadding with some sort of solvent on it. It is non abrasive, and does a great job on silverware and Harley exhaust pipes.

Steve WA9JML

I have no idea what is in Nevrdull, its MSDS is probably on the web. However, most corrosion removers contain either oxalic acid or phosphoric acid as the active ingredient. They may also contain a surfactant or detergent and a polish of some sort. The polish can be very fine rouge or something softer like powdered pumice or French chalk. Phosphoric acid is also found in many bathroom tile cleaners and mold removers. These will remove oxidation about as well as the more specialized products. While its possible some cleaners contain other chemicals these two reducing agents seem to be the most popular. One problem with copper plated chassis is that they may have been coated with a lacquer. If the lacquer coating flakes off for some reason it will allow the unprotected copper to oxidize plus the oxidation can migrate under the remaining lacquer. Too much of any cleaner can begin to remove the plating. I think the main purpose of the copper plating is to reduce surface resistance. I have no idea of how effective this is in practice.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles