On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 02:40:15AM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Okay, sorry, I just had to laugh.  Not your fault, I admit that. You are as innocent
>as I used to be.
>
> Here's the deal bro:

Now I'm going to turn this around a bit. You've already seen the answers
from most of us. We're still here, but we're busy with other projects,
and our time is limited. We're all still reading the list and posting
when it seems appropriate.

It's hard work writing docs. It's not a lot of fun (particularly for a
developer) to spend time writing docs.

It is much easier to answer questions than it is to write docs. If
someone takes the initiative to do some digging and ask questions we're
much more likely to respond? Why? Because the scope they're asking for
is more limited. Because they've shown their invested in the
project. You'll find that when you work on open source projects that
lots of people will ask you to give of your time and very few will
contribute on their own.

A good starting point would be to dig through the archives of this list
and collect what's there. It would have a lot of holes, but it would be
a good place to start. I realize it's a pain in the ass, but it's a
start. Has anyone done that? No.

I agree with you that if more modern up-to-date docs were available it
would be easier for other developers to contribute. Pull together what's
on the list already. Ask questions.

Another reasonable complaint is that you need to download too much code
and it takes too long to build all of X. Not everyone has fast machines
and lots of bandwidth. Since the client side OpenGL doesn't change much,
wouldn't it be nice to have a way to compile that separately, so it is
smaller and faster? Yep. Someone do it.

I know I've written this same piece to the list multiple times, but in
order to be more proactive, here's a place to start. All OpenGL drivers
are made up of 3 parts:

A DRI aware 2D driver which lives in
  xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/...
usually in a file *_dri.{c.h}

A DRI aware 3D driver based on Mesa which lives in
  xc/lib/GL/mesa/src/drv/...

A kernel module which lives in
  xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/drm/linux

Go start digging in those directories and asking questions.

I've given a couple presentations on the DRI, so maybe I can find one of
those to post as well.

Regarding CVS access, Brian, I get email from people, and I talk to
those people that have shown some investment. I've only added one or two
people. My stock answer when asked is that you should submit a patch or
two before we give access. Now one has. For the few people that have
shown some code or even a good understanding, they've turned me down
saying they're too busy.

                                                - |Daryll