i wont mess with trying to respond in line.

but i have been lurking on this list for the last year ( which is more of
an investment than you might think! ) and it appears that adoniz makes
some valid points, tho perhaps in an overly vigourous fashion. :-)

well, every OS project is different ( recall the line about families in
anna karenyena :-) ). This is probably the most technically complex one in
existence - a good graphics card is effectively another computer.

there is further irony in that this project provides the functionality
that supports the one thing that the most technically illiterate user
cares about...GAMES! ( ok, well people want a word processor too, but
that's another project ).

things have grown even more fascinating with the IP transfer from SGI to
M$FT. it occurs to me that we can soon expect M$FT to start waving lawyers
at all things OpenGL. They may not have a case, but they have lawyers, and
that actually amounts to the same thing for 90% of the world.

so, where does that leave me and my SiS/FreeBSD combo? same place i was
last week :-).

no matter, i'll go src spelunking and take a few notes, and maybe bake up
a few perl scripts to generate some annotation. that way i can track what
changes and add it to the notes.

if i want to make dri documentation, no one can stop me BWAH-HA-HA-HA! and
i shall rule the world! and townsville! and defeat, once and for all,
those meddlesome power puff gi.... oops! wrong thread.

so, adoniz, you alluded to have written a stub. care to share?

hava a pleasant day one and all...

johnu

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]
>horseshit.
>
> 6) (these people) don't think back to the times when they needed a helpful start,
>and think that everyone is just gonna jump on the X11+DRI+Kernel gorilla and start
>hacking. Yeah, right!  I was speaking assembly  at age 2 and X11 calls at age 4. NOT
>!!!!!  I _read a lot_ (like most of us? i hear agreement) before I learned the things
>I know.
>
> Anyways, the above things are sometimes true, othertimes not, for others partial,
>for others full. Take it as you will. With a grain of salt or none at all. That has
>been my experience at times.
>
> I have tried time after time to elicit from the DRI project any kind of useful info
>so that I could actually help the busy DRI developers (they are only a handful), by
>creating some devel. docs myself and of course working on 3D drivers. All I got was
>2-3 replies (on the most "official" attempt to present a structured/formatted
>FAQ-style document asking some fundamental questions for beginners ; apart from that
>various questions were asked randomly and most did get answered, but they were a tiny
>portion of what was needed for a good devel doc). That was it.
>
> What docs are there:
>
> There isn't even an existing "shell" or "skeleton" driver (typical for most types of
>projects where they allow "third parties" to develop for them), with the inards
>thrown out, so that one can at least get a clue of what components a driver is built
>of. Heck, not even a list of files (and their locations and the necessary/needed
>inter-dependence).  Heck, I know how to bang registers, but DRI is _not_ designed by
>me, and it's _not_ clear as daylight even to an experience (non-DRI experience)
>programmer. Even after reading all the outdated PI documents multiple times, the
>actual implementation details (not the overall idea) was still unclear or fuzzy at
>best.
>
> Oh yeah, there are the infamous "design/devel" documents. They are known as the PI
>docs. PI = Precision Insight, the company formed by the core DRI developers who
>developed the DRI initially based on these documents (their documents). The documents
>were good for the first couple of months of the DRI developement I imagine. Quickly
>after, things started to diverge and the docs were full of "this is not implemented"
>or "will be in the future" or "incomplete; today we will use bubble sort for this,
>quicksort later". That's fine by me, but as long as you tell me _when_ you decide to
>switch over to "quicksort" !!! Or even better, when the DRI never switches to
>"quicksort" but to something totally undocumented in the PI docs, like "radix sort".
>(PS. when I say bubble/quick/radix sort, I am just interchanging these well known
>algorithms for DRI/grafix specific algorithms, which don't have such formal names, or
>well known names. I personally have not seen any of the above sorting!
 methods in the DRI  :)

--

John L. Utz III
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life