Let me toss in my 2 cents.

The problem is that DRI development has never reached critical mass in the
open source world.  There was a time when there were quite a few developers
working on DRI related projects a PI or VA but much of the design
discussions
were private and people couldn't eaves drop on the 'experts'.   A
combination
of eaves dropping and browsing through code is how many people get up to
speed on open source projects.  This didn't happen with DRI so the same
experts of 2 years ago are the same experts today except that many of those
experts are now on to other projects.

To make the problem worse is DRI, XFree86, and 3D drivers is there is a
very steep learning curve, documentation is limited, out dated or simply
non-existant and searching aimlessly through megabytes and megabytes of
source code is a slow, tedious and frustrating process that quickly results
in a developer looking for more interesting projects.  Every month someone
comes along the DRI mailing list, mentions that they are interested in doing
work, and then shortly later dissappears.  Every time that happens that is
another developer gone on to another project that interests them because
they
couldn't get over the learning curve and another developer lost to the DRI
project.

The solution is that we need a way to get the information flowing between
the
handful of DRI experts and the people who want to become DRI experts.  Once
information starts flowing and people start getting over the learning curve
and staying a DRI developer then the eaves dropping will occur, there will
be
many more knowledgeable people to answer the newbie questions and DRI will
reach critical mass and the experts can spend their time working on the
complex issues.

So, the question is how to we get that process going.  As a suggestion,
maybe
a weekly IRC meeting would help where new developers can ask the experts,
and
each other, questions about DRI, XFree or 3D graphics.  I am sure it would
be
much easier for Darryl, Paul, or any of the other DRI experts to allocate an
hour or so a week to participate in an IRC chat as opposed to monitoring and
answering mailing list messages.  It would allow the new developers to more
quickly get answers to their questions.  Also, the IRC logs could be posted
on the DRI web site.  New developers are far more likely to read an IRC log
than scan through months and months of mailing list archives.  Honestly, I
suspect no one ever reads mailing lists archives to get general information.
People only search them to see if someone else experienced a very specific
problem and might have a solution.

Anyway, just a thought.

David