At age 60, I estimate that I personally have taught, advised, and mentored more than 2,500 college undergraduates over a period of 37 years. From 2007-2009, I also served as Interim Director of KU's Undergraduate Biology Program, the single largest undergraduate teaching unit at the University of Kansas, with 22 staff members who serve more than 1,400 undergraduate majors at any one time. I thus have had a large student population from which to form my perceptions of their capabilities and academic performance.

Rather than being "stupid" in the literal sense, I believe that Alyson actually intended to suggest that our children are increasingly less well educated, in the sense that they acquire an ever-declining knowledge of the fundamentals (this has sometimes been referred to as one component of the "dumbing down" of America). To me, this decline has been quite evident and quite pronounced. This trend also has in my opinion led to progressive pressure upon educators by students to reduce the rigor of their lectures and exams, and also has led to more frequent battles with students (and their parents) who think that they "deserve" a certain grade.

While I believe that each new Freshman class in America always contains some of the very best and very brightest students whom one would ever wish to teach and mentor, I would argue that the frequency distribution of these incoming students /with regards to their overall performance/ is continually shifting to the left. During a recent business trip, my seatmate on the plane was a young (ca. 35 year-old) teaching professional who was just moving out of the university environment and into the private sector, and she expressed to me an identical perception, based upon her own personal teaching experiences in a Southeastern university. Even our Graduate Teaching Assistants in the biological sciences at KU are beginning to remark that _/*on average*/_ the freshmen with whom they interact each year are coming in progressively less well-prepared, especially in the areas of communication and math. Are they on average less intelligent? I doubt it. Are they on average less well prepared for the college curriculum? Absolutely. On average, do they have progressively poorer study and exam-taking skills? You bet! I have lost track of the number of young people who complained to me that they had a 4.0 GPA in High School, and yet are struggling to get B's and C's at KU.

The availability of online and other preparatory resources has probably assisted young people in continuing to scoring well on standardized tests such as the SAT. However, my experiences during the education of my three daughters (ages 36, 24, and 18) have allowed me to view firsthand the perceptible decline that has in my opinion occurred in the quality of their average peers' preparation and attitude towards learning. I lay much of this decline at the feet of their parents, who seem to care progressively less and less about knowledge. I recall a particularly notable incident from over a decade ago, when my youngest daughter's grade school Principal retired. The new Principal unilaterally decided that Science Fair projects for grades 2-6 should become completely voluntary, rather than remaining as a formal requirement that had long been embedded in this school's outstanding science preparation curriculum. On the day of the science project evaluations, I expressed dismay about this undesirable change to another parent, who at that time was almost 20 years my junior. Her response was to shout across the room to her husband, "John (not his real name), this guy thinks everybody should have to do a science fair project, and /that this is all about learning science/!" and she then turned to me to say, "If everyone has to do a project, that lowers the chance that our child will win the Best Science Project award. That's unfair competition." And she walked away.

Sincerely,
Val Smith

Val H. Smith
University of Kansas