As a scientist AND a journalist, I would say that Orwell is right, and that you seem to be sorely misguided. There is nothing wrong with writing CLEARLY. Active voice, fewer syllables, etc., etc., do absolutely nothing to lower reading comprehension among the masses. It does absolutely nothing to lower the quality or the "beauty" of the writing. Some of the greatest, most beautiful, and most complex writing in the world comes in the form of haiku -- 17 syllables.

Who benefits by the use of a big, obscure word when a small, common one will do? Generally only the writer, who demonstrates by his choice of random selections from an unabridged dictionary how much more intelligent he is than his readers. I'm not against big words in principle, but they should be used only when necessary -- such as when there are no suitable substitutes.

You do not serve the reader well when you force him or her to run to the dictionary every two or three sentences. You do not serve science well when your writing is so full of specialized jargon that only the select few initiates into the priesthood can understand understand it. I remember reading some historical stuff about Latin, the mass, and the Bible, and controlling the masses by denying them access to (and personal understanding of) the founding documents of their faith.

At a time when an improved public understanding science is necessary, I would strongly argue that scientists take heed of Orwell's recommendations. Even if you are only thinking of communication among scientists in an interdisciplinary research program -- arguing for the sanctification of inscrutable writing does not further that goal.

The problem today is not that Hemingway's style gained favor over Faulkner's, the problem is that students are not getting sufficient training in reading and writing, period. I place a lot of the blame on the fetish built up around standardized testing -- teaching students to memorize trivia that can be easily regurgitated on a multiple-choice test does little to prepare them for the time when they'll be called upon to detect and interpret patterns, to relate observations of unfamiliar phenomena to phenomena that is known and understood, to string together a coherent thought. The simple numbers -- test scores -- may arouse politicians and educational administrators, but the numbers and the process used to produce them seem to me to work against the development of a well educated population.

Dave