Hanno you bring up a very intriguing point about the distinction between
what people trust in the medical science community versus the academic
science community. I had never put that together but I think you're right
on. I get dismayed at how trusting people are of their doctors, and how
doctors treat people as if their responses will be on a "bell curve" rather
than treating them holistically (one blatant example is with birth - if
patients do not proceed according to the timetable, they give pitocin to
speed the birth, which almost inevitably leads to a cesarean). And of course
most pregnant women just follow along, fearful of a negative outcome, while
the doctors more concerned about getting home to watch the football game,
and/or malpractice. This is of course an oversimplification but it happens.
But the distinction with the general public's acceptance of academic science
- something to think about. And that phenomenon may well be different in the
US than elsewhere.  There was a study I saw about how the US is an outlier
in terms of religious belief and poverty. Most highly religious nations are
higher in poverty. We're one of the few that are a first world nation with a
high degree of religiosity. And I believe that the rejection of academic
science is a direct result of that religiosity because it is the
religio-political conservatives that reject climate change and evolution.
There are active Christian ministries opposing those two major issues -
including the well known Focus on the Family (James Dobsons organization).
And I myself am a Christian, but a progressive one who accepts science,
evolution etc and in fact am writing a book (due out Fall 2010) on making
peace between evolution and Christianity.

Also Malcolm I wanted to make a response to one point. While most of the
things being touted as medical solutions are bunk, some are not. There are
certainly some things like Echinacea perhaps, and other natural medicines
that DO make a difference but the research has not been done.

Wendee
     Wendee Holtcamp, M.S. Wildlife Ecology ~ @bohemianone
    Freelance Writer * Photographer * Bohemian
          http://www.wendeeholtcamp.com
     http://bohemianadventures.blogspot.com
~~6-wk Online Writing Course Starts Feb 6, 2010 (signup by Jan 30)~~
I’m Animal Planet’s news blogger - http://blogs.discovery.com/animal_news