You make a really good point and I appreciate that you are bringing up this
important issue. I am an environmental educator and have worked with
hundreds of students from across the country over the past few years. Here
is a shocking fact I learned during my graduate studies: most of what
children today know about the environment is learned from television. Is
this as frightening to you as it is to me? Students are learning more about
environmental issues from television than from parents, educators, real life
experiences, books, etc.

Now, if television programs have become such a central educational tool for
our nation's children (and a large percentage of adults I might add), then
it seems that we should be VERY concerned about the content of this media.
Advertisements and even some news programs are allowed to spread blatant
misinformation, creating political debate and confusion on issues that the
scientific community has already reached consensus. The corporations in
charge of these programs and commercials are out to make money at any cost,
as is the goal of any corporation, even if the cost is the public mind - and
the sad truth is, our children ARE becoming more stupid every year. The fact
that we are still dealing with illiteracy in this country is a national
disgrace. Television programming/ads are providing a great disservice to
society on many levels. As you said, Malcolm, it has the "potential to erode
the general public's view of the scientific community" - and that is a
frightening prospect. Rather than keeping people informed on current events
and issues, backed by the most up-to-date scientific information that we
have, it spreads confusion, doubt, fear, and political dissent. Media in the
US are still arguing about whether global climate change exists, while
Europe has long since reached scientific and political consensus. How can a
democracy function properly without an informed citizenry? I, for one, am of
the belief that the political/corporate powers that be in this country want
it to be this way: an uninformed citizenry is much easier to control and
make money from, and what better tool to use than television. I would love
to see the scientific community take a leading role on this issue to take
back the mind of the public, through the media and the public education
system.

Alyson