To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: domingo, 17 de Janeiro de 2010 18:44
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] now I've seen it all

As a scientist AND a journalist, I would say that Orwell is right, and that you seem to be sorely misguided. There is nothing wrong with writing CLEARLY. Active voice, fewer syllables, etc., etc., do absolutely nothing to lower reading comprehension among the masses. It does absolutely nothing to lower the quality or the "beauty" of the writing. Some of the greatest, most beautiful, and most complex writing in the world comes in the form of haiku -- 17 syllables.

Who benefits by the use of a big, obscure word when a small, common one will do? Generally only the writer, who demonstrates by his choice of random selections from an unabridged dictionary how much more intelligent he is than his readers. I'm not against big words in principle, but they should be used only when necessary -- such as when there are no suitable substitutes.