I'm well aware of the pressures to write badly -- bad writers who don't realize how bad they are tend to make bad editors who want everyone else to sink to their level. A lot of the conflict is the pressure to maintain the elite priesthood versus one of the alleged purposes of science, i.e., to communicate ideas and data. Members of the priesthood do not usually realize that their efforts generally do more to undermine science than to promote it.

Look at the often negative treatment given to excellent scientists/communicators by their scientific colleagues. It's not unusual for someone who writes a wildly popular (and informative) book, or hosts a wildly popular (and informative) to get a hostile reaction from purist colleagues.

Don't get me started about scientists who think it's beneath them to speak to their public information staff, much less the press as a whole. Sure, journalists screw up, but they don't screw up all the time and they would screw up less if they had more cooperation from the source. Besides, given the source of most of the research funding in many disciplines, scientists have an obligation to reach out to the people paying the tab -- i.e., THE PEOPLE.

I offer an anecdote about the discomfort too many in the sciences have with speaking in terms understandable by the masses. My first book, "Upheaval from the Abyss: Ocean Floor Mapping and the Earth Science Revolution," seemed a natural choice for a review in Eos (Transactions of the American Geophysical Union). The editors declined to review it because it wasn't "technical enough."

Now, I've been attending scientific meetings off-and-on for three decades now, and I know what kinds of stories scientists tell each other about themselves and their colleagues once they've knocked a few back. I have to say I found the editors' reasoning rather at variance with the facts.

Later,

Dave