On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Alyson Mack <alym...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the sad truth is, our children ARE becoming more stupid every year. The fact

Do you have any evidence for this claim? IQ scores have been rising
pretty steadily for a century. (Look up the Flynn effect
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect>.) SAT scores are the
highest they've been since the 1960s, although a somewhat larger
percentage of high school students are taking the test. There are
always fluctuations, but are there any measures of intelligence that
have been showing a consistent decline?

On a different note, who here has read _The Demon-Haunted World_ or
_Why People Believe Weird Things_? They're both relevant to the larger
discussion of critical thinking.

Jane

--
Jane Shevtsov

"The whole person must have both the humility to nurture the
Earth and the pride to go to Mars." --Wyn Wachhorst, The Dream
of Spaceflight