To clarify: my statement about conflating women academics with the working poor
was not in response to Sarah's post, which came after mine, but in response to
Karen Golinski's criticism of people working long hours being poor parents.

I made the point in my post that people forced to work multiple jobs and long
hours are not in the same situation as working academic mothers, even though
both would benefit from increased institutional support. This is not to
criticize either group, but to point out that having a work-life balance
discussion at all is, for some, not an option. I suspect most academics are
above the poverty line, underpaid though they may be (adjuncts are a different
story). Whether you have to work or choose to work, you should have the same
access to support and protection from criticism.

Jacquelyn