Hello all,

1) Most people don't choose to work from 6am to 10pm; those decisions are
typically driven by economic necessity. Remember that not everyone may have
access to the same choices, education, opportunities, and benefits that, say, a
tenure-track professor or a federal employee has. Having to work long hours and
multiple jobs should not be treated as a reflection of the quality of one's
parenting or the love such a person has for their children.

2) Conflating the plight of the working poor with the choice of a woman to have
a career and a family is false equivalence. The examples we've talked about,
including the original example of a mother asking for advice on how to take her
child into the field (not IF, but HOW) are not comparable with a 6am to 10pm
example. In both cases, I'd argue that better institutional support systems
(healthcare, childcare, etc) would be beneficial, but that's another
discussion. This isn't to say that a parent in either situation isn't deserving
of support, but just that if we're going to discuss work-life balance, we need
to remember that for some, work-life balance is a choice, and for others it's a
luxury.

3) Positive models of work-life balance must apply to both fathers and mothers.
For the system to be truly equal, we must be equally "concerned" that fathers
spend as much time with their children as mothers, and likewise equally
accepting of mothers who want to work full-time. For decades, the icon of the
man working long hours to support his family was considered a noble one. By
acknowledging that mothers and fathers are equally deserving of attention and
protection, it takes away some of the burden on mothers to be the sole parent
of concern when it comes to child-rearing.

4) This has been a frustrating discussion to follow, in that I have found it
incredibly alienating to me as a woman academic with plans of someday having
children. In some ways, it's been useful to learn the ways in which
institutional sexism is still prevalent amongst academics (male and female),
but I wonder if people are genuinely thinking of the consequences of what they
say, and how damaging some of these statements must be to young women reading
the list and considering academic careers and motherhood? I speak not for
myself-- fortunately, women in science is a strong interest of mine and I've
got a good network of women scientists-- many of whom are mothers and very
successul academics.

5) Work-life balance discussions are relevant to people without children, also.
Just because someone doesn't have kids doesn't mean they should be thought to
be able to devote 100% of their time and attention to work. We need to consider
the health and well-being of individuals as well as their hypothetical children.

If we truly want to increase the diversity within our disciplines, then we must
be accepting of multiple models of work-life-balance, for men and women. This
means incorporating structures that support working parents, including things
like breast-feeding space and time, maternity leave, access to affordable
daycare, and a flexible tenure clock. It also means accepting that parenthood
comes with a number of choices, and just because someone makes different
choices than you (e.g., daycare staying at home for the first few years)
doesn't mean either choices are invalid. Those choices may
have repercussions to a career (leaving a field for several years is a
difficult hurdle to overcome) but that should really be the only aspect of that
decision that is up for public discussion.

If you have found these discussions alienating or they have caused you to doubt
whether you are fit for a career in ecology, please feel free to contact me
off-list. I can point you to some resources.

Best wishes,

Jacquelyn

--
Jacquelyn Gill(https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jlgill/web/Home.html)