A non-majors biology course is intended to provide an overview of the
entire field.
A majors biology course is intended to prepare majors for courses they
will later take.
Therefore, you want to make sure you touch on the major issues in
biology, but don't
get too hung up on technicalities and specifics.

for a brief list of points
Students should understand
basic cell anatomy and function
mitosis & meiosis & cell cycle
basic tissue types & basic function
organs and basic function
basic mendellian inheritance
DNA structure and function
replication, transcription, translation
levels of organization: sub-cellular, cellular, tissue, organ, organ
system, organism, population, community, ecosystem, biosphere.
Ecosystem ecology
organismal ecology
population ecology
community ecology
Evolution and evolutionary mechanisms (this blends into all other
areas if done correctly)

Some additional things to add:
Science in the news (current events)
Political decision making vs scientific deduction
deduction vs induction

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but it is just a list off the top of my head!
Malcolm

--
Malcolm L. McCallum
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry

Managing Editor,
Herpetological Conservation and Biology

"Peer pressure is designed to contain anyone with a sense of drive" -
Allan Nation

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
            and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

The Seven Blunders of the World (Mohandas Gandhi)
Wealth w/o work
Pleasure w/o conscience
Knowledge w/o character
Commerce w/o morality
Science w/o humanity
Worship w/o sacrifice
Politics w/o principle

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not