It wasn't my term.  But I think "full-bodied" cw means a slightly wider I-F to
establish background noise that some ops want to hear, particularly if  the
receiver has exceptional gain distribution and in-band IMD, which the latest
Icoms do have.  This gives articulation to cw signal outs of a quiet back
ground of noise, and so long as you are not dealing with an exceptionally
strong signal nearby, hard-wired fast agc can give relative strength to the
competing signals.  Then, a good cw op can pick out stations actually easier
than with a 400hz filter where RIT becomes more necessary.  Of course on the
Icom radio there is no choice but to do this because 3khz  is the narrowest
setting, though you could ask for more DSP filtering.

So, here again, is what I mean:  set you K3 for 2.7khz and I-F DSP at 500hz and
tune in a s-9 signal.  Now engage your narrow cw filter (I can do 400hz, 250hz,
and 200hz).  Listen to the I-F back ground noise decrease relative to the
signal.  Notice too that  2.7 hz with 500hz of DSP sounds more "full-bodied"
than 400hz, 250hz, 200hz.   Of course, this is all good when you are trying to
hear a weak signal anyway as opposed to running a pileup of stations.

My point is (or was in the discussion about this) if you like running stations
with an Icom you can enjoy running them in the same way with K3. But what has
to happen to the Icom radio when a signal like the one Guy describes gets
within the 3 khz roofing filter?

On the k3 you can engage a 200 hz filter and carry on the east coast -EU battle
 If there is an advantage to contesting in Idaho it is that EU stations from
over the pole are seldom over s-9 and don't blink, you will miss the EU
opening, hi.  However,  I have seen east coast signals nearly peg the meter of
k3 a few times in 300z cwt.

73, Will, wj9b
KX1, k2, so2r K3/P3

CWops #1085