As a 99.99% CW op, I prefer a fairly wide bandwidth - 2 kHz or so - when
copying, especially with a weak signal. I attribute that to the gray-matter
filter between my ears that can better detect the CW signal in wider-band noise
rather than in a noise spectrum limited to frequencies near those of the
signal.

It works better for me even if there are other signals inside the bandpass.
Then it becomes like listening to someone in a room full of people speaking to
each other. Quickly my gray matter can filter out the extraneous chatter as
long as no one voice is extremely loud, like someone standing next to you at a
party yelling at someone across the room. In that case I prefer using the notch
filter or even the limiter to suppress a "loudmouth" before narrowing the
bandwidth.

I used to avoid AGC because of 'pumping', but got back into the habit with the
Elecraft rigs because their AGC systems are extremely resistant to pumping.

It was easier in the past because many signals had distinctive differences
caused by hand-sent keying which made it easier to pick them out against a
cacophony of others. Now, of course, most signals are pristine and produced by
keyers although there are large variations in speeds, so it's still easier for
me to use a wider bandwidth.

73, Ron AC7AC