Digest V103 #42, the person identified as Alicia Gordon, 
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> hunted and pecked out the following:

>2. However, if it is still possible, I would like to set up a direct 
>connection to CServe in Emailer (like I used to, whether through DSL or 
>dial-up), to have as a backup when my ISP's server is down.

Go to the MacSoftware (GO MACSW) forum and check in the "CompuServe 
Software" (I think) library. There should be connection scripts that can 
be downloaded, pasted into Text Edit and saved, and then imported into 
the proper folder for OS X to get you through the CIS PPP gateway. Then 
you can use Em@iler from there (the Internet) to come =back into= CIS's 
POP mail. (If you have questions post in the MacSoftware forum -- don't 
have the specific section in front of me -- and the gurus there can help 
you.)

>3. And I need to set up access to forums, and not sure which way to go 
>yet. I have always used MacNav to dial in directly. I had thought that it 
>no longer worked under OS X (i.e. in Classic).

Nav will work fine under OS X/Classic -- many forum regulars use it. And 
you can also check your CIS email with Nav... I do.

>4. I am clueless about TCPak, Black Knight, Compuserve Dialers, etc. 
>other than hearing them mentioned these many years. Also have never set 
>up a PPP connection to Compuserve (always dialed directly or used PPP 
>access through my ISP to my mail account).

Get rid of TCPack and the CompuServe Dialer... they were flaky to begin 
with, and haven't gotten any better. Download the BN Connection Pack for 
its telnet tool. There are only two "settings" to be made after dropping 
it into your Extensions folder. Nav (and MacCIM, if you like) need a 
telnet tool to get to CIS.

>5. Lastly, have also awkwardly been trying to help out someone in 
>Arkansas with a new iMac and OS X set up CS 3.0.3 (which I've never used) 
>over her dialup account to CServe.

Tell her to check out the MacSoftware and MacHardware (MACSW, MACHW) 
forums -- the folks there are knowledgeable and helpful.

>Once we finally get it working, I wanted to 
>encourage her to switch her mail to the Mail app. Can she do this if she 
>sets up a POP mail account on CIS, or is she out of luck unless she gets 
>an outside ISP?

Mail can only access a POP mail account, so she'll need to set one up -- 
she'll also need it to access via Em@iler. I don't remember the exact 
method -- have her check in MacSW -- but she'll need to select a new User 
Name and password (minimum of 12 characters, no specials like !, *, or _ 
but =at least= one numeral) specifically for POP mail.



--
Selah!
BWms

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-="When Obi-Wan talked about the Dark Side of the Force, who knew he 
was referring to Windows...?" =-

___________________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe send a mail message with a SUBJECT line of "unsubscribe" to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  or  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Reply via email to