Alicia Gordon [EMAIL PROTECTED] said on 2/13/03 8:09 PM: >Bill and Fred - > >Don't go away! Just caught up with this thread, and may need your insight >too. > >I have just upgraded to a new machine with OS X and just got DSL, and one >thing I haven't done yet is set up Compuserve (although I downloaded all >the files they have in the support libraries). > >1. I am getting my compuserve e-mail in Emailer with no problem, through >the POP connection and through my ISP, as always.
Are you using "classic" CompuServe or 2000? >2. However, if it is still possible, I would like to set up a direct >connection to CServe in Emailer (like I used to, whether through DSL or >dial-up), to have as a backup when my ISP's server is down. There should be no problem with dial-up under Classic, but others have posted their experiences here... I use CIS via my BellSouth DSL here, and through BellSouth's dial-up when I'm traveling in an area where there's no CIS node to access. >3. And I need to set up access to forums, and not sure which way to go >yet. I have always used MacNav to dial in directly. I had thought that it >no longer worked under OS X (i.e. in Classic). I also have MacCIM 2.4.4, >and figured that was probably the way to go. I have never used CS 3, and >see no reason to now. And alternately, perhaps WebView is the answer? >Dunno. I have a few forums I access with some regularity. I don't use the >CServe software at all for mail, except on very rare occasions, such as >Fred just mentioned, to delete something problematical. This is very >rare, but has occurred a few times (at least on the old OS 9 machine). I loved NacNav, but haven't used it for years; nor MacCIM, once I got into Emailer. CS 3.0.3 is still supported by CIS, and it allows me to log on to the CIS network. When I choose forums, it starts up my browser (IE) and gives me a log-in dialog box that I type my CIS ID (numbers) and password (with option to retain this info), and I can access the forums very easily that way. Most of the interaction between fora and other areas of CIS happen via the browser. CS 3.0.3 just facilitates getting on-line. > >4. I am clueless about TCPak, Black Knight, Compuserve Dialers, etc. >other than hearing them mentioned these many years. Also have never set >up a PPP connection to Compuserve (always dialed directly or used PPP >access through my ISP to my mail account). I use one of the telnet "drivers"--TCPack, Black Night--in order to log on using Emailer. I've not needed them with CS 3.0.3. I have found the Macintosh CompuServe customer support folks to be very helpful and pretty knowledgeable. And, with only about 10,000 folks using CIS (based on what the support guy told me on Thursday), you have quick access to help. They're eager to talk to someone, anyone!! I've never waited more than a couple of minutes in the queue. > >5. Lastly, have also awkwardly been trying to help out someone in >Arkansas with a new iMac and OS X set up CS 3.0.3 (which I've never used) >over her dialup account to CServe. She uses CServe as her ISP for mail, >forums and Internet, and has always used CS 3. I'm not clear where she's >at right now - seems to be connecting, but I get the impression that >she's actually rebooting the machine directly into OS 9 to do so, which >doesn't sound right at all. Once we finally get it working, I wanted to >encourage her to switch her mail to the Mail app. Can she do this if she >sets up a POP mail account on CIS, or is she out of luck unless she gets >an outside ISP? I don't have much experience yet with OS X, but I'd suggest she talk with the customer service folks (see earlier reference). I'm not sure that Mail can access CIS. I do know that in a pinch, I can use OE to get some of the files that Emailer won't download from CIS. ( I wish I didn't have to do that...I lose track of what's where at times.) >Thanks for bearing through. We Compuserve folk need to stick together. I'm for that! >Alicia Blessings, Fred ___________________________________________________________________________ To unsubscribe send a mail message with a SUBJECT line of "unsubscribe" to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

