Bill and Fred -

Don't go away! Just caught up with this thread, and may need your insight 
too.

I have just upgraded to a new machine with OS X and just got DSL, and one 
thing I haven't done yet is set up Compuserve (although I downloaded all 
the files they have in the support libraries).

1. I am getting my compuserve e-mail in Emailer with no problem, through 
the POP connection and through my ISP, as always.

2. However, if it is still possible, I would like to set up a direct 
connection to CServe in Emailer (like I used to, whether through DSL or 
dial-up), to have as a backup when my ISP's server is down.

3. And I need to set up access to forums, and not sure which way to go 
yet. I have always used MacNav to dial in directly. I had thought that it 
no longer worked under OS X (i.e. in Classic). I also have MacCIM 2.4.4, 
and figured that was probably the way to go. I have never used CS 3, and 
see no reason to now. And alternately, perhaps WebView is the answer? 
Dunno. I have a few forums I access with some regularity. I don't use the 
CServe software at all for mail, except on very rare occasions, such as 
Fred just mentioned, to delete something problematical. This is very 
rare, but has occurred a few times (at least on the old OS 9 machine).

4. I am clueless about TCPak, Black Knight, Compuserve Dialers, etc. 
other than hearing them mentioned these many years. Also have never set 
up a PPP connection to Compuserve (always dialed directly or used PPP 
access through my ISP to my mail account).

5. Lastly, have also awkwardly been trying to help out someone in 
Arkansas with a new iMac and OS X set up CS 3.0.3 (which I've never used) 
over her dialup account to CServe. She uses CServe as her ISP for mail, 
forums and Internet, and has always used CS 3. I'm not clear where she's 
at right now - seems to be connecting, but I get the impression that 
she's actually rebooting the machine directly into OS 9 to do so, which 
doesn't sound right at all. Once we finally get it working, I wanted to 
encourage her to switch her mail to the Mail app. Can she do this if she 
sets up a POP mail account on CIS, or is she out of luck unless she gets 
an outside ISP?

Thanks for bearing through. We Compuserve folk need to stick together.

Alicia


On 2003/2/13 14:32, Bill Williams wrote: 

>Digest V103 #40, the person identified as Fred J. Heumann, 
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> hunted and pecked out the following:
>
>>I use TCPack for CompuServe to connect (and wish I could buy it
>>and disable the need to hit an OK button to log on), but have also used the
>>Black Night Telnet tool.
>
>Ditch TCPack -- it's known to be flaky. The BN telnet tool (and others, 
>and the BN app itself) are bulletproof.
>
>>connect to my
>>CompuServe account which I have had since 1986(?) or so via a broadband
>>connection.
>
>Same here, except that I use MacNav to read the MacSoftware and 
>MacHardware forums (the only ones left), and collect email from my POP 
>account w/Em@iler. Other than occasional drops -- which I blame on CIS -- 
>I've had no problems. This is with a G4/766/1.5GB and a DSL connection. 
>Assuming you are using =CSI= as your ISP this shouldn't happen. If you 
>are coming in from another ISP, CSI won't let you =send= via their smtp 
>server unless you are using CIS software.
>
>Have you verified your setup for CIS mail in Em@iler?
>


Alicia Gordon
Gordon Word Artists
French and Spanish Translation


___________________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe send a mail message with a SUBJECT line of "unsubscribe" to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  or  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Reply via email to