How about a little constructive anarchy?  Suppose a large number of
companies decided all at the same time to take a stand on this.  Suppose
each company took all of the Certification marks off their products
except one for safety and one for EMC.

At first, countries with mandatory Certification marks would try to
refuse entry to those products.  After a while, consumers would start
asking why they can't buy toasters, computers, or telephones anymore.
After a while they would start yelling.  At some point the media would
start looking into it.  Sooner or later, in country after country, it
would come to light that the government had no good reason for not
accepting marks other than their own.  It would also come to light that
the citizen's who vote governments into power don't give a rat's
petootie which mark is on a product, as long as it is legal to use it
and as long as it is safe and doesn't put snow all over Oprah or the
Bulls game.  The people and the media would be in full support of our
career-long dream:  to force all these governments into enacting
legislation that allows a single mark (or a slight twist on that - any
single accredited mark).  Then we march in with a ready-made scheme, and
we have all those governments over a barrel.

I'll read your replies sometime after I wake up, because I'm obviously
dreaming.  Can you imagine trying to talk your company into this?  Oh
well, back to reality.

Regards,

Jim Eichner
Statpower Technologies Corporation
jeich...@statpower.com
http://www.statpower.com
Any opinions expressed are those of my invisible friend, who really
exists, and whose employer would not for a nanosecond consider such a
proposal.