From:  ron_pick...@hypercom.com[SMTP:ron_pick...@hypercom.com]
Sent:  Thursday, September 10, 1998 5:27 PM
To:  emc-p...@ieee.org; dmitch...@eoscorp.com
Subject:  Re[2]: Are all these agencies really necessary?

 Dan et al,

 Yes, OM, WM, or any other single mark would be much preferred over
the current
 system.

 But, let's keep things in perspective. Years back (well, maybe not
that far
 back), it seemed that every counrty had its own unique approval
scheme, which
 included unique standards, requirements and marks based on each
country's
 bureaucratic policies. Now, at least, harmonizing of standards and
requirements
 are generally in place, which is a big step forward from what was.
With this
 being said, universal acceptance of a single globally accepted
approval scheme
 is still years away and will be difficult to achieve due to the human
 bureaucratic parts of the equation (or until there's a single world
government,
 but we won't go there).

 I think the USA - EU MRA is a step in the right direction to
accomplish this,
 but I feel that the OM (one mark) idea is still far beyond the MRA
once the MRA
 completes. Wishing a thing to come true may be considered to be a
goal. Working
 to make that wish happen correctly is a means to that goal.

 Just some of my humble thoughts on the subject. And, of course,
comments are
 invited.

 Best regards,
 Ron Pickard