Dear group,

I would like to gather some opinions about safety tests on switch mode power
supplies within medical devices, according to IEC 60601-1.
My question arises because a test house technician told me he used to test
power supplies as they were transformers, for what concerns short circuit
and overload tests, on each dc output.
I couldn't find such requirements for power supplies in the standard (I
couldn't find any!!!), but I think it would be at least wise to do these
tests.
Do you think they should be included as single fault condition tests, even
if not mentioned?
Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Paolo Peruzzi