John Wrote:

>The EMC Directive doesn't demand ANY testing.

Maybe, but it demands EVIDENCE of compliance. Annex IV - 1

Two Definitons of "Evidence"

Law: The documentary or oral statements and the material objects admissible as
testimony in a court of law.

Law: information drawn from personal testimony, a document, or a material
object, used to establish facts in a legal investigation or admissible as
testimony in a law court.

The rest of your email witnesses daily practices in factories, but is strictly
spoken bad advice. It's a shortcut and if routed without care could have
serious consequences.

The test labs suggestion is basically right, and the manufacture should prove
(to the authorities, not the test house) that the changes in the standard do
not affect its product.

If the highest test frequency has been changed, the only way of proof is
re-testing.  If the I/O port requirements have changed and the product has
none, the proof is easily constructed as you said.

The full assessment includes therefore an comparison between the standards, and
a written motivation per test / port if re-testing is required. The assessment
may require an expert on EMC, I have seen too many unexpected results.

Note that even if port/limits/frequencies did not change, the test method may
have been changed due to a modified reference to the basic standards. It’s
something that is easily overlooked.

If the test house carries a private label (in addition to CE), you probably
just have to comply to their requirements

Regards,

Ing.  Gert Gremmen, BSc

g.grem...@cetest.nl

www.cetest.nl

Kiotoweg 363

3047 BG Rotterdam

T 31(0)104152426

F 31(0)104154953

 Before printing, think about the environment.