Very good advice. There is a 'dumb' fallback, if your best efforts to find a documented rationale to not apply the requirement, is to consider how much extra it costs to comply with it, compared to the cost of trying to find a reason not to comply with it.

For example, I found that replacing the inter-winding insulation in a transformer by PET tape, which has a very high dielectric strength, met the requirement that I considered unnecessary by a very large margin, and incidentally was marginally less costly.

Best wishes John Woodgate OOO-Own Opinions Only
www.woodjohn.uk
Rayleigh, Essex UK

I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand. Xunzi (340 - 245 BC)

On 2022-12-02 19:15, Joe Randolph wrote:

Hi Steve:

I work mostly with the 60950-1 and 62368-1 standards for ITE, so I’m not familiar with the details of the requirements in 61010-1.

That being said, I’ve seen many cases where someone misinterpreted the creepage/clearance/dielectric requirements in 60950-1 and 62368-1, not realizing that their specific configuration was exempt from those requirements.  So, I’d like to have more details on the specific requirement that concern you, and the specific circuit where you are trying to apply this requirement.

Is the 100 Vdc secondary fully floating with respect to the ground at the AC mains, or is it referenced to the AC mains ground?

Does the AC mains connection use an ordinary “Pluggable Type A” plug or is it hardwired?

If it uses a Type A plug, does that plug have a ground pin?

These are just some of the factors that can affect how the isolation requirements apply to this specific design.

If the AC mains ground is obtained from a grounded Type A plug, there is a fault scenario that */might/* be behind the requirement that concerns you.  This is case where the presumed ground in the AC outlet is missing, or the user has installed a “cheater adapter” to convert the 3-prong plug to a 2-prong plug.

In this case the ground node in the equipment becomes a floating node, which creates certain potential scenarios that might create the need for the requirement that concerns you.

I agree with you that it’s best to always make sure that understand the rationale behind any requirement that is giving you trouble.  Once you know the rationale, you will better understand whether the requirement should apply to your specific application.

Joe Randolph

Telecom Design Consultant

Randolph Telecom, Inc.

781-721-2848 (USA)